With only 7 days left to file self-assessment tax returns it’s always amusing to read through the bizarre excuses some people have given to HMRC for missing the deadline. Here are some of our favourites from over the years:
- My boiler had broken and my fingers were too cold to type
- I’m too short to reach the post box
- My wife won’t give me my mail
- My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is
- I had a run-in with a cow
- I was just too busy – my first maid left, my second maid stole from me, and my third maid was very slow to learn
And of course no list is complete
without the age old the dog ate my homework excuse.
- my dog ate the post… again
- my hamster ate my post
And finally the worst excuse came from a London Accountant .
- I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns !!
However amusing these excuses are HMRC don’t look too kindly on them so make sure your excuse is not on next year’s list. The deadline for submitting your tax return and paying any tax owed is 31st January. Miss this HMRC will charge you a £100 penalty for late filing even if you don’t owe any tax.
If completing your tax return fills you with dread each year and coming up with amusing excuses is not you forte Bookkeeper Buddy is here to help. Rather than tackling that carrier bag of receipts on the 30th January we can assist you with maintaining accurate up to date books which will make completing you self-assessment a breeze.
So what are you waiting for – go and do it now!
- 31 October – deadline for filing your paper return
- 31 January – deadline for filing your online return
- 31 January – deadline to pay your tax bill